The Ontario Association of Food Banks (OAFB) has released a report, Our Choice for a Better Ontario: A Plan to Cut Poverty in Half by 2020 (in PDF). The report includes thirty concrete recommendations including:
- establish a fair minimum wage that is permanently indexed to half of the average hourly wage;
- provide universal preventative health and dental benefit coverage to all low-income Ontarians;
- build 100,000 new units of affordable housing by 2020;
- build community food centres to build food security in remote reserve communities focusing on harvesting, preparation and consumption of local traditional foods;
- guarantee child care and access to any form of post-secondary education for all single parents in Ontario.
For more information read two stories in The Star, "'Time to be bold' in poverty fight" and "Ontario food banks seek 'guerrilla war' on hunger."